Sunday, February 17, 2013

February 17, 2013


Psalm 63:1
You, God, are my God,
earnestly I seek you;
I thirst for you,
my whole being longs for you . . .

As soon as I read the first four lines of Psalm 63, they reeled me in.  I knew immediately that this was the scripture I needed to focus on for today's devotion.

My heart was created to praise and worship my King, my Father.  I was the worship coordinator at Camp Glisson over the summer, and I currently lead worship at The Rise, Kennesaw United Methodist's youth service on Sunday mornings.  Worship is a big part of who I am.  I defines me.  It's not surprising, then, that I would naturally gravitate to the verse above.

As I've been writing this, I've been listening to some Enter the Worship Circle albums.  They are one of my favorite groups.  But to get to the point, as I read this scripture for the first time, the song, "I Cannot Hide My Love" was playing.  To me, it personifies Psalm 63.  At its core, it is a song about God's love for me, and mine in return.  I cannot hide my love and passion when praising God.  It is uncontrollable!

Over the summer, I was able to help campers plan the worship for each service.  In ten weeks, I coordinated 100+ worship services.  It was the most stressful period I've ever endured.  On top of those services and planning them, I worked the challenge course for at least two hours per day, usually more.  Every day, I experienced a new tired, a new sore, and a new obstacle.  But, I loved every second of it!  I saw over 3,000 campers and counselors sing and dance and praise the God who created us.  I sang and praised like never before.  We could not hide our love!

My soul thirsts for God.  I can't even express the yearning that is in me to praise Him.  I have seen so many lives, my own included, transformed by God's love and grace.  I worship because of God's great love for me.  He satisfies my soul, and that is a feeling for which I have no words . . .

~Trent Watson

Readings
Deuteronomy 8:1-10
Psalms 63, 98 or 103
1 Corinthians 1:17-31
Mark 2:18-22

No comments: