Tuesday, February 26, 2013

February 26, 2013


Psalm 62:5
Yes, my soul, find rest in God;
my hope comes from him.

As a college student, I always wish for more sleep, more rest.  But, don't we all at times?  It seems like our whole lives are structured by this thing called 'time.'  We've all heard people say, "I don't have enough time for that!"  This is because time is a scarce resource which we need to manage; if we don't, stress and worry usually follow.

I like having plans.  But, when they don't go the way I want, I worry.  Sometimes, it feels like my life is in a constant state of anxiety about having enough time to get things done.  When do I even have time to rest?  What does rest even mean anymore? Do I have too much on my plate?  As a society, we spread ourselves too thin, so thin that we sometimes push God out of the picture.

Psalm 62 speaks about finding rest in God; he is the greatest Comforter.  Don't you wish every day God would show up and give you the biggest hug?  Maybe that hug can come from a pastor, a friend or a family member.  I know that I can find a few moments of rest in a hug.  Rest, for me, are those times when love overtakes that worry and stress and calms my soul.

Sadly, sometimes I don't trust God enough to provide me with this calmness.  I choose to ignore Him and keep thinking about the next subject I need to study.  God gave us free will for a reason; He wants us to choose to trust Him in everything.  I know I don't always give Him this trust.  Sure, I feel that calm and that rest when worshiping Him at Revive or The Rise, but once the service is over, I'm once again thinking of other things.

I know I have my priorities mixed up.  I know I put school and grades before God sometimes, and that's precisely what causes my stress and worrying.  However, once I pray or sing, my soul is calm.  As I am writing this devotional, I am at peace in His presence.

What are you placing ahead of God?  Have you prayed about it?  What are you doing to change it?

"Power belongs to you, God, and with you, Lord, is unfailing love . . ." (Psalm 62:11-12)  This control I think I have over my life really belongs to God.  This stress and worry is because of the control I imagine I have.  The control belongs to God.  And, once I give Him the control, once I give Him the trust, I will find rest and calm and peace.

May you find time to trust in God today and find your rest in Him.

~Taylor NeSmith

Readings
Jeremiah 2:1-13
Psalms 61, 62 or 68
Romans 1:16-25
John 4:43-54

No comments: