Friday, February 22, 2013

February 22, 2013


Psalm 54:4
Surely God is my help; the Lord is the one who sustains me.

Today, I will share with you a devotional from Psalm 54 which I believe will hit close to home for many.  Surely, God is my help.  Sometimes in our lives, we may encounter people who wish us to fall/fail so they can rejoice in our failure which, in turn, makes them feel better about themselves or brings them joy.  These people want to cause us to become depressed, or discouraged in the goals we are trying to accomplish.  They want to bring us to a place where we feel defeated and want to give up.

We can also be suffering from internal struggles where we need God's help.  Are you or a loved one grieving a broken marriage?  Ilness?  The loss of a job?  The loss of a friend or family member?  Are you considering a career change?  Going back to school?  Awaiting military deployment for yourself or a loved one?  Or, are you stressed out because your everyday, too busy life is wearing you down?

In all of our struggles, it is crucial to draw our strength from God and keep on going.  When the battle rages, when we feel we cannot take one more step, we can take refuge in the Lord who, as our text for today says, will help us and strengthen and sustain us.

On February 4, my husband began his deployment to Afghanistan.  I cannot think of a better place to turn than to God.  Surely God is my help; the Lord is the one who sustains me.  When the stress and burdens of life seem overwhelming, I often pray the Lord's Prayer found in Matthew 6:9-13 - Our Father in Heaven, hallowed be your name . . . I know when I put God on the front lines of my prayers, I can feel closer to Him and know that I am His beloved child.

Today, and all the days when you pray for God's help and guidance, ask Him to help you maintain a positive outlook during your hard times, and help you bring Him the glory both in good times and bad.

~Jennifer McIntosh

Readings
Deuteronomy 10:12-22
Psalms 40, 54 or 51
Hebrews 4:11-16
John 3:22-36

No comments: