Saturday, March 16, 2013

March 16, 2013


John 6:66-69
Because of this many of his disciples turned back and no longer went about with him. So Jesus asked the twelve, "Do you also wish to go away?"  Simon Peter answered him, "Lord, to whom can we go?  You have the words of eternal life.  We have come to believe and know you are the Holy One of God."

As I read John 6:60-71 about how some followers questioned Jesus, and Jesus said to them, "Hey, if you can't follow the word, then you can't follow me," it reminded me of my own relationship with God.  In looking at my track record with going to church and being a follower of Jesus, it has been very touch and go.  It seems that it is easy, convenient even, to not be an active participant and recipient of God's Word.

The excuses come . . . I work full time, I have two boys who keep me busy . . . I am spending time with my family; wouldn't Jesus want that? . . . I was up late Saturday night, I need the sleep in . . . and the excuses can go on and on.

How does this make me any different than those followers who were with Jesus and questioned the Lord's Word?  I wonder if they had those same excuses running around in their heads . . . We have followed this guy for years, and what do we have to show for it? . . . I am hungry . . . I am tired . . . I want to see my family again . . . And, who is this God he keeps talking about?  We haven't seen anything yet.  I am sure the list of complaints would go on and on.

Then Jesus, in His way, called them out on it!  There are so many times when something happens that I know is a God thing, I look up and point my finger and say, "God, You are a funny guy."  That is because Jesus knows how to slap us with a two-by-four right when we need it.  It is like that V8 commercial when the people need a bop in the head!

So, I challenge you, when you begin to sway from your path with Jesus and think, Well, maybe I don't need to go to church this Sunday or attend Bible study that morning . . .Think of those disciples who went home instead of continuing the journey with Jesus.  Think about that opportunity they chose to miss out on, walking personally with the physical Son of God.  We may not be able to walk in Jesus' actual footsteps as they did, but we can read our Bibles, hear the Word preached, and be in the company of other Christians.

No excuses!!!

~Trisha Crawley

Readings
Jeremiah 23:9-15
Psalms 107:33-43, 108 or 33
Romans 9:1-18
John 6:60-71

No comments: