Thursday, March 21, 2013

March 21, 2013


Psalm 142:1-2
With my voice I cry to the Lord;
with my voice I make
supplication to the Lord.
I pour out my complaint before him;
I tell my trouble before him.

Are there any atheists in foxholes?  I don't think so!

When we face times of tribulation and turmoil, even folks who never darken the doors of a church or utter prayers during the good times, often find themselves crying out to God for help.  Praying He will hear them.  Protect them.  Save them.

Some, in their desperation, find Him, and their lives are forever transformed.  Others, when the storms have passed, pick up precisely where they left off and go along their merry, if mistaken, way until the next crisis hits.

Do I believe God hears the cries of the righteous and unrighteous alike?  You bet, I do!

But, the Lord won't compel anyone to listen to or heed His answers of comfort and consolation.  He gave us free will.  We can choose to love Him.  To worship Him.  He never forces our hand.  He loves us too much for that.

So, when you find yourself in a foxhole, what do you do?  Do you pour out your complaint to the Lord?  Tell Him all your troubles?  Or, do you hold back, letting your pain and suffering fester within you?  Thinking, perhaps, God has better things to do than to hold you in His arms?

Take the psalmist's advice - Cry out to Him in your distress.  Expect that He will hear you.  Wants to hear you.  Then, listen for His healing response.

Because, when "we pour out our miseries, God just hears a melody."  

And, that's "better than an hallelujah sometimes."

~Martha Orlando

Readings
Jeremiah 26:1-16
Psalms 131, 132 or 140, 142
Romans 11:1-12
John 10:19-42

Martha's website:  www.gladetrilogy.wix.com/theglade
Martha's blog:  http://marthaorlando.blogspot.com 

No comments: