Friday, March 8, 2013

March 8, 2013


John 8:45
Yet because I tell the truth, you do not believe me!

Do you consider yourself to be a truthful person?  Probably, the vast majority of you who are reading this would answer, "Yes."

So, would I.

At least, I strive to be truthful.  With others.  With myself.

Recently, though, I receive a beautiful story from a dear friend via email.

It tells the reason why the cloth which was placed upon Jesus' face in the tomb is found neatly folded when His empty tomb is entered.  In Jesus' time, the story goes, if a master balled up his napkin and threw it on the table, that signaled his servant to clear the dishes.  However, if the master folded it beside his plate and left the table, it meant he had not finished eating.  He would return momentarily.

So, the tale concludes, this was the Lord's way of telling us He will return to us one day.

Oh, what a lovely sentiment!

But, there's one problem.  A big one.

It's not true!

And, I do not find this out until after I have forwarded this message to several friends, including my husband, Danny.

Who decides to do a little research . . .

Yep, it's a hoax.  No such tradition exists.

Boy, do I have egg on my face!

And, I feel badly for my friend, too, who sent this lovingly in faith and trust.

Living in the land of information-overload, it is becoming more and more difficult to discern fact from fiction.  Truth from lies.

We can become skeptical.  Jaded even.

If we let it get to us.

But, if we remember that the Holy Spirit will guide us in all truth when we allow Him to take the wheel, we have hope.

Hope that we can always trust the true words of our Lord and Savior, Christ Jesus.

And, not be misled by what the world would have us believe is true.

~Martha Orlando

Readings
Jeremiah 11:1-8, 14-20
Psalms 88, or 91, 92
Romans 6:1-11
John 8:33-47

Martha's blog - http://marthaorlando.blogspot.com (Meditations of My Heart)
Martha's website - www.gladetrilogy.wix.com/theglade

No comments: