Monday, March 4, 2013

March 4, 2013

John 17:14-18
About the middle of the feast, Jesus went up into the temple and began teaching.  The Jews therefore marveled, saying, "How is it that this man has learning when he has never studied?"  So Jesus answered them, "My teaching is not mine, but his who sent me.  If anyone's will is to do God's will, he will know whether the teaching is from God or whether I am speaking on my own authority.  The one who speaks on his own authority seeks his own glory; but the one who seeks the glory of Him who sent him is true, and in him there is no falsehood."

Why do we second guess ourselves?  There have been many times when I have found myself frozen, stuck in one place, held back by my own fear.  The fear of communicating the love and greatness of God in the wrong way.

We are called to make disciples of all nations (Matthew 28:16-20), but I go all wiggly legs when I think of talking to a random person in the Starbucks line about their spiritual beliefs, let alone about God.  I mean, does anyone have a manual on how to speak to every person in a such a way that he or she can relate to God?  I don't know about you, but when I think about how different each person really is, it can seem nigh impossible.

Is there a wrong way of proclaiming God?  The human side of me would say, "Yes".  From a logical point of view, I could never see approaching a group of people living one life style and convincing them that they could have a different life in Christ.  My mind tells me there's no way.  Tells me,  Why try?  They're not going to listen to you!  Are you even smart enough?  Are you even good enough to truly be an advocate for the almighty God?

Apart from every logical, mind-driven point of view and mathematical calculation proving to you that your percentage rate for success is a meager.0000000009%, you can succeed!  But, only through Him.

John 17:14-18 truly spoke to my heart.  I feel that what Jesus is saying here, among other things, is that you don't have to be well-educated to show God to the world.  Don't get me wrong.  Education is a fundamental in many, many ways, but this should not hold you back from going up to a person who God has placed on your heart.  There is a reason He chose you to reach out to that person.  Maybe, you don't understand it, and maybe, it feels so beyond your well of knowledge that you don't know what to do or say.  Just remember:  He chose you to take that step of faith, and your strength is in Him.

Showing God to other people who don't know Him, and even to those who do, does not always mean words either.  It can be in actions, too.  Showing love for someone you don't know, going above and beyond for someone who can never repay you, or listening attentively when the a person needs to talk about their problems and troubles.

So, let's do this!  Together!  No holding back!  No second guessing!  Let's just go and show this world through our actions and our words!  Get out of the way and let the Spirit lead you!

~Tim Nugent
REVIVE Worship Leader
Readings
Jeremiah 7:1-15
Psalms 80 or 77
Romans 4:1-12
John 7:14-36

No comments: