Friday, March 29, 2013

March 29, 2013


Psalm 40:1-2
I waited patiently for the Lord;
he inclined to me and heard my cry.
He drew me up from the desolate pit,
our of the miry bog,
and set my feet upon a rock, 
making my steps secure.

Waiting for God to help us is never easy, but in Psalm 40, we see that God helped David after he patiently waited.  David was lifted our of the slimy pit, mud, and mire.  He was given solid ground to stand on and new praise song in his mouth.  God can, and better yet, will take you from despair and depression to singing songs of praise!

Throughout my own life, I've realized that, often, we have to go through bouts of waiting before we receive our blessings.  David lets it be known that those who place their faith in the Lord, in contrast to the "proud" who turn to false gods, are blessed.  I find it interesting that David uses "Blessed is the man who makes the Lord his trust" rather than "Blessed will be the man . . ."  Even before receiving our blessings that come from waiting, we are already blessed just knowing that God is the truth.

"Sacrifice and offering you did not desire . . ."  God doesn't need our involvement; however, He wants to bless us.  Not for the sake of blessing us, but to bring us into a relationship with Him, and for us to do His will.  God doesn't want our offerings and sacrifice without a devotional attitude.  As Samuel told Saul, "To obey is better than sacrifice." (Samuel 15:22)  Give God the obedience and service He wants.

In verses 9 - 10, David writes that he would speak of God's faithfulness and salvation.  When God is working in us, we can't keep it quiet.  We must share with others what God has done for us.  Don't be timid!  We share groupons and recommend restaurants to others, so why wouldn't we share God with them, too?

Verses 11 - 13 really strike home for a lot of us.  David wants to be protected by God's love and truth from the innumerable troubles which surround him.  Who wouldn't want that?  David also talks about the manifold sins he has committed and how he is engulfed by them.  He uses his heart as a metaphor in this passage, "my heart fails within me."  This describes the depth of his despair; he is having troubles with the most basic of things.

I have had this feeling a couple of times in my life when I can't manage to do anything but wallow in depression alone in my room.  Nothing seems like it is working.  During times like this, David requests that God not withhold His mercy, but come quickly to help him.  Sometimes, all we have to do to receive the help we need is to ask.

I leave you all with a verse from Psalm 40.  I think it speaks for itself . . .

Yet I am poor and needy; may the Lord think of me.  You are my help and my deliverer; O my God, do not delay.  ~Psalm 40:17

~Wayne Famber

Readings
Genesis 22:1-14
Psalms 22 or 40, 54
1 Peter 1:10-20
John 13:36-38 and John 19:38-42

No comments: