Friday, July 22, 2011

Evil Forces of Wickedness.....

Scripture--Romans 16

Observation:  Every time there's only one chapter I fear I'll have nothing to talk about!  But all scripture is good--right?  And so is God!  So of course, I found something to talk about!  Look at verse 17..."My friends, I beg you to watch out for anyone who causes trouble and divides the church by refusing to do what all of you were taught. Stay away from them!"


Application:  First, I pray I'm never one of those troublemakers.  Wallace and my Dad would disagree, but I pray that I only cause righteous waves! Second, I know these people--in churches, in families, in life!  And they apparently had them in Rome, and in Kennesaw and to the ends of the Earth!  Look out for where you are being contentious just because.  Look out for those who only want you and our church and our Church harm!  Be in prayer for them, and for us.  Let us build churches and families so centered in God that evil cannot overtake it!

Prayer:  Prince of Peace--Hear our prayers.  For Peace.  For Justice.  For Righteousness.  For Mercy.  Come over us and help us see the places that evil is and give us the strength to fight it.  Give us your armor, and protect us!  In your powerful name we pray.  Amen


July 23-- 1 Corinthians 1- 1 Corinthians 3
July 24-- 1 Corinthians 4 -1 Corinthians 6
July 25-- 1 Corinthians 7-1 Corinthians 9
July 26-- 1 Corinthians 10-1 Corinthians 12

4 comments:

Martha Jane Orlando said...

As I'm planning my blog for next Thursday, this commentary has been a great help!
My scripture is Mark 7:14-15 in which Jesus declares what defiles a person and what doesn't. His list of the evil things that can come from the human heart is formidable!
Let us pray for those who have committed or are contemplating committing any and all evil acts; let us pray for their repentance and our ability to forgive.

Carol Flores said...

Emily, the same verse stood out to me because there is a certain non-believer co-worker of mine that is very confrontational about religion in general. He seems to be contentious "just because". I never know exactly how to respond to him but part of me feels obligated to defend my beliefs. What have you all done or said in situations like that? To me he is not really open to what I would say so I have said very little.

On another note, the verse that talked about the God of peace CRUSHING Satan was a great little pick me up!

Mary said...

I think the coworker would like to argue, so I think I would say very little back to his arguments. I would hope to be a good model or example of what it means to be a Christian. Maybe I would let him know that I was praying for him.
I also liked verse 19, where we are to be wise about what is good and innocent about what is evil. That sounds like a good idea to me!

Kennesaw UMC said...

Carol, I've been praying about this since I read it yesterday, and I have to say, I agree with my Mom. We shouldn't have to "defend our faith". Not that we can't--but he only wants to argue, he isn't interested in hearing what you have to say.

My answer in times like that is something like, "I'm so sorry the church has hurt you so badly." Or "I'm so sorry that you feel like God has hurt you so much. Is it something you'd like to talk about?". Although I'm not sure those conversations are appropriate for the work environment. A simple, "That's not what my faith is like. Or Wow, that's not something God has ever asked me to believe" or "I'm so glad I don't go to a church like that" also seems to work. But in the end, he's probably trying to bait you more than he's really wanting to hear from you.

But, with all of that being said...I think we should pray for him--God can do amazing things, who knows how you'll find a time or a way to talk with him.

Praying for you--for all of you!

Emily