Monday, July 25, 2011

What do YOU think?

Scripture-- 1 Corinthians 7-1 Corinthians 9

Observation:  The section on marriage is fascinating to me.  That we should be unmarried to focus on God.  Its this section that still keeps Catholic priests, monks and nuns from marrying. 

Application:  I want to know your thoughts.  I'm one of the few unmarried/never-been-married ones who are following (well, at least who are COMMENTING! Wink wink, anyone out there single?)  Do you think his points on marriage are valid?  Important?  Why would he add these to the mix?

Prayer:  Holy Spirit--Rain down on us.  Fill us full so that we can be your children, and you can be our God.  Give us wisdom and knowledge to understand even when we're not sure we can.  In your name we pray, Amen.

Blessings!
Pastor Emily 

July 26-- 1 Corinthians 10-1 Corinthians 12

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

Well, I've only been married 5 years. Here's what stuck out to me...

The way Paul puts it, marriage isn't bad... it is not a sin. He says it's right. However, he says someone who remains unmarried (and able to resist temptation) is better because that man or woman is able to fully focus on the Lord instead of pleasing their spouse.

After reading this, I'm thinking... hmmm, so does God not want us to get married? That doesn't sit well. But then I caught verse 7:7... I wish that all of you were as I am. But each of you has your own gift from God; one has this gift, another has that first. Paul knows that He is living the way God intended him to live, but God has also made a place for marriage.

For me, marriage led me to Christ. In dating, I was introduced to Christ through my future husband. With an upcoming church wedding, I wanted to join with Christ before joining my husband. And at our wedding, I had my first communion (as a Christian), shared with my husband. God planned my wedding. As Paul states, it is easy to get caught up in the worldly with marriage... trying to please my husband, but the marriage works out so much better when we seek God first!

So maybe marriage isn't God's ideal arrangement for our lives, but he blesses it and can use it for the good and glory of His kingdom. I pray that I can seek God first in my marriage so that I am able to love more fully, give for gracefully, and forgive more quickly.

Mary said...

Paul's point of remaining in the situation God called us to, is a good way to look at it. Unmarried people, especially priests and monks, have more time/energy to focus on their calling and on God. But we do live in the world that God created. Male and female he created. In Genesis He said it is not good for a man to be alone. I will make a helper for him. I think if we would have to sell the staying unmarried idea to new Christians we would have few converts!

Carol Flores said...

The end of verse 7:35 summed it up for me. Serve the Lord without distraction. I can see how Paul could conclude that married people focus less on God than their spouses (and in many cases this is true), but I don't think God wants us to be alone. In my opinion there are many distractions not just in marriage, but in life. I pray to God that He will help me see past them and see His will for my life. VERY difficult, but remember, 'with God all things are possible".