Sunday, July 24, 2011

What has power over you?

Scripture--1 Corinthians 4 -1 Corinthians 6


Observation:  This was a section specifically designed to help the Corinthians stay holy.  To help them remember that they were held to a high standard.  Not for their salvation--but for the good of their church and their families and themselves.  But the part that gripped me was 6:12 "Some of you say, "We can do anything we want to." But I tell you that not everything is good for us. So I refuse to let anything have power over me"


Application:  I love grace.  It covers so many things--and often makes it easy for me to overlook things.  To say, "well its ok that he/she did something wrong, God still loves them and so do I".  Which is very true, but sometimes that lets others (and myself!) get away from what God calls us to.  It allows us to be soft in following God.  Jesus didn't just say, Believe in me, he ALSO said, "follow me"!  Are you following Christ--or the commandments?  The commandments are great--but even "lawful things" are not always good.  Let nothing have power over you but God in heaven.  Not me, not Wallace, not the church.  But God.  Even things that are lawful aren't always of God.


Prayer:  Oh Christ--never let us take our eyes off you.  Never let us forget that you are who we should follow.  Never let us choose "right" over you.  Help us follow you to the end.  Amen.


Blessings!
Pastor Emily


July 25-- 1 Corinthians 7-1 Corinthians 9
July 26-- 1 Corinthians 10-1 Corinthians 12

2 comments:

Mary said...

I liked 4:4 where it says the Lord judges us and we should not care how others judge us or judge ourselves. We should ask for forgiveness and work hard to do the right thing from now on.
Then in 6:19- our bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit that we are to use to honor God. Just think of all the things people do to hurt the body. Misusing food, drugs, sex, work, etc. We need to ask for forgiveness and do better here too.

Carol Flores said...

6:19 and 20 were especially relevant to me as I am attempting to start an exercise routine and heathier eating habits. Hopefully when I want that candy bar or that extra glass of wine, I will remember these verses. :)
If I destroy my body, then I am destroying a piece of Christ's body and won't be able to fulfill what He needs me to do. I need alot of forgiveness in this area for sure. We need to keep in mind that we are not our own, but God's and that we were bought at a price.