Saturday, June 11, 2011

Children

Scripture--Matthew 16 - Matthew 18



Observation:  Its probably no wonder that after a week of VBS, the passages about the little children stuck with me.  Their energy has astounded me.  I’ve gotten hundreds of hugs.  I’ve gotten a few pictures and craft projects.  But mostly I’ve gotten a huge reminder of what faith means.  It means that even when you are a busy seven year old finding time to pray alone in your bedroom.  It means hearing a 3 year old who doesn’t know English sing songs about God (in English!)  It means another 3 year old playing make believe with Jesus telling people how much he loves them.  It means youth helpers who did everything they asked and were sad when it was all over!  That’s what faith means. 

Application:  I’m a world class worrier!  But God is reminding me today that it will all get done.  I need to remember more often that when Jesus tells me to jump, that its time to jump.  Faith like a child.  Not worried.  Just trusting.  Humble.  New.  I need new faith!  That’s a start! 

Prayer:  Spirit of God, refresh my faith! Make it new.  Change it.  Melt it.  Mold it.  Let me never forget to trust you always, and love others.  You are amazing and holy.  I am in awe of you!  In thy precious name, Amen!


Blessings!
Pastor Emily!

Don't forget the rest of the week!
June 12-- Matthew 19-Matthew 21
June 13-- Matthew 22-Matthew 24
June 14-- Matthew 25-Matthew 27
June 15-- Matthew 28
June 16-- Mark 1-Mark 3
June 17-- Mark 4-Mark 6

5 comments:

Lindsay said...

Wouldn't it be great to see the world through the eyes of a child? Ansley reminds me of this often... She makes me try to see things on her level... See things as new, as beauty, as pure, as gift from God. As a newborn, lights were fascinating to her... New eyes that couldn't focus on much, but she could see light. Lord, help me to see the Light, to admire the Light, to seek your Light! Help me to not overlook your gifts and graces, help to see the world through the eyes of a child seeking the Light!

Sara Armstrong said...

The passges that struck me were about the yeast of the Pharisees. Scripture is amazing. Jesus words of warning are relevant today for those who promote false teachings or use the Bible to control and manipulate.
I am so thankful that I belong to a community of faith where differences of opinion are respected and discussion is encourage.

Martha Jane Orlando said...

My blog for June 1 dealt with worrying and how to let go and let God.
We all need new faith each and every day. Renew in me a right spirit, Lord! Let me trust in you like a little child.

Mary said...

Poor Peter, he gets one question right that Jesus is the Christ then gets the next two wrong when he doesn't want Jesus to die and when he wants to build shelters for transfigured Jesus and His friends. Sounds like child-like faith to me.

Carol Flores said...

Trying to catch up on my reading...
This one reminded me to be mindful of what my beliefs are based on..I bet the disciples were surprised to hear Jesus warn them to beware of the leaven (doctrine) of the Pharisees...

But the best part of today's reading was the reminder in Ch 17 of the power that comes with a strong faith and belief. There is power in the Spirit which Emily spoke so beautifully about in church Sunday. There is power when two or more are gathered in His name.

I pray for help being humble and forgiving so I can fully accept the incredible gift of the Holy Spirit.