Saturday, June 25, 2011

Giving it to God

Scripture:  Luke 10-Luke 12


Observation:  Two related passages stuck out to me today:  10:20, "Nevertheless don't rejoice because the spirits submit to you.  Rejioce instead that your names are written in heaven" and the Warning about Worry in 12:22-34!  I started examining my priorities.  Am I doing this for my glory or for God's?  Am I worried about this so I am better or so people see God?  Am I working this hard to get a gold star by my name or so that people see how amazing God is?


Application:  Its time to start giving every fear and worry to God.  Its time to start giving every accomplishment  and success to God.  Its time to turn over fear of failure, fear of being inconsequential, fear of being out of control to God. God takes care of the flowers and the trees and the birds.  Jesus takes care of God's people (ALL PEOPLE!) and God's church.  So, its time to let go, and let God.


Prayer:  Jehovah-Jireh, You are the one who provides.  To you be all honor and glory.  To you be all that I am, all that I have, all that I will become.  May I love you with my whole heart, my whole being, my whole strength and my whole mind, and may I love my neighbor as myself.  Amen.


Blessings!
Pastor Emily 





June 26-- Luke 13-Luke 15
June 27-- Luke 16-Luke 18
June 28-- Luke 19-Luke 21
June 29-- Luke 22-Luke 24
June 30-- John 1- John 3
July 1-- John 4-John 6
July 2-- John 7-John 9

4 comments:

Lynne Watts said...

So many favorite verses and stories in the reading today! Because I can't comment on all of them, I'm going to comment on the Ask and it will be given to you verse which has been the subject of many a sermon. This is especially meaningful to me today at the point I am in my life. I believe many times we don't ask because we believe in a scarcity mentality rather than an abundance mentality. I wrote more on this today in my blog:
http://lynnewatts.blogspot.com/

Lindsay said...

I got drawn in to Luke 10:21... I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children. Yes, Father, for this is what you were pleased to do.

I was thinking about children and the secrets they hold. Ansley's only 18 months, but she has helped me to see God and his blessings through her eyes. She is just in awe of nature. She loves it. She is also so innocent. She says "hi" to random people when we are eating out or at the grocery store. My shyness kicks in in new situations and I'm not as friendly, but she gives strangers a big smile, a "hi", and a giggle. And most of the time, the person loves it. She is such a blessing, and I am learning so much about God through her!

Lord, I try to become more wise and learn more things, but help me to step back and watch how children live so that I can really know you more!

Martha Jane Orlando said...

I reflected on the "not to worry" admonition Jesus gives us in my blog date June 1, 2011. Give it a read at http://marthaorlando.blogspot.com. Yes, it is SO important to remember to let go and let God!

Emily, I really loved the prayer you offered for us today; it says it all and I plan to refer to this daily.

Blessings!

Carol Flores said...

No matter how many times I read the Martha and Mary story, and I vow that I will try to be less of a Martha and more like Mary, when I read it again today I still feel too much like a Martha. Distracted by too many possessions and activities. Things that take up my time and energy when I should be using that to give glory to God. 12:15 was a great reminder of why I think we need to somehow simplify our lives. "One's life does not consist in the abundance of things he possesses". Amen.