Thursday, August 25, 2011

All you need is love, love, love

Scripture: 1 John 1-3

For more information on this fourth "general" or "catholic" or "universal" letter, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Epistle_of_John

Observation:
What a great read today!  (3:18) "Little children, lets not love with words or speech but with action and truth".

(3:1) "See what kind of love the Father has given to us in that we should be called God's children, and that is what we are!  Because the world didn't recognize him, it doesn't recognize us!"

But what jumped out at me today was the section on God is light.  It sounds a lot like the first chapter of John the gospel!  It even quotes it. 

Application:
Two things stand out to me:

1) "If we claim to have no sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us!"  Let us never forget that we all sin!  We all make bad choices.  We all mess up.  That should make us more tolerant of ourselves and others--for God loves us all, even though we don't deserve it!

2) I love the play on light.  One of my favorite images of God is that of light.  When I see candles or flames, I remember that God is a light that will never go out. Its probably no wonder that I'm Methodist, since I love the cross and flame so much.  Its probably no wonder that the logo for our new Saturday night worship service, Revive, has a flame.  I see God in the light, in the stars at night, as the light that will always guide my path.  I am so thankful that no matter how dark things are, God is always there--shining through the darkness.

Prayer:
O God of Light--Guide my path.  Bring hope to my hopelessness.  Be the light that shines in my deepest darkest corners.  Let me love you--let your light shine through me!  In your blessed name! Amen.

Blessings--Pastor Emily

2 comments:

Mary said...

I like the God is light part too and all the songs that go with it. This little light of mine! In him there is no darkness at all. to name two. Walk in the light, not in the darkness. Love with actions and truth. God's seed remains in us, so we cannot go on sinning. We have been born of God.
I love these chapters! I'm going to leave a book mark here!

Martha Jane Orlando said...

The loving with actions and truth reminds me so much of James!

The imagery of light is so beautiful! Albert Einstein once argued with a professor that darkness did not really exist on its own; it was only the absence of light and the light that shines from God must shine in and through us.

It's so marvelous to be the sons and the daughters of God!