Sunday, August 28, 2011

Scripture--Revelation 1-3--
I'm not sure its worth our time going into all the debates about Revelation (note its a singular--not Revelations. "John" only had one dream!).  All Apocalyptic literature is symbolic and literary and full of things we may never understand.  Perhaps what is laid out in Revelation will happen one day.  Maybe its just a parable to help us understand how we are to live--but either way, lets jump into this book trying to figure out what it is that God is saying to us.

For more information on the debates see:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Revelation

Observation:
I loved the prophesy to each of the churches.  What do you think God would say to Kennesaw?  Or to your church?  Or to you and your family.  Reading those lists got me thinking.  What would God say to me.

Application:
Sometimes I wish I could just have an email or a phone call from God.  I'd even take a handwritten card!  I wish God would just make the desires of his heart known.  Oh, sure, God guides us, but sometimes it would be easier if we had them written out. 

But, I wonder if this is better.  If this means we have to search and seek and learn to listen.   We don't always listen very well.  We don't always hear or pay attention.  I pray that today I pay attention better. So, Jesus doesn't have to send me a letter.  So I already know his heart.

Prayer:  God, I'm looking for you.  In the faces of the people I see.  In the whispers of prayers.  In your scripture.  Sharpen my senses, so that I can see you.  In your name I pray.  Amen.

Blessings! 
Pastor Emily

1 comment:

Mary said...

To the churches some words to be proud of: hard work, patience, persevered, remained true, faithful witness, your service, your love, kept my word. Other words that would be hard to hear about your church: forsaken your first love, you are dead, neither hot or cold.
But in 3:20 the words for the painting: Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him and he with me. Jesus is right there at the door. We just have to let Him in.