Monday, August 8, 2011

Christ is my All In All

Scripture:  Philippians 4-Colossians 2

This one is a little different.  We'll actually read all three chapters today.  The Churches at Collosae are one of the ones referred to in the opening chapters of Revelation.  There is much dispute over authorship with both those pro-Paul and against him, but for more information see:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epistle_to_the_Colossians


Observation:
I really liked Colossians.  Honestly, before I re-read this piece, I'm not sure I could have told you much about the book.  Sure I could quote you some verses, but I would have had little to say other than that.  What I loved was the assertion that Christ is king and Lord and eternal, but that we have issues when we fall into the traps of the world.  I loved 1:15 and 17, "The Son is the image of the invisible God, the one who is first over all creation."  "He existed before all things, and all things are held together in him."  And then compare that with 2:8 and 2:18-19, the conversations about not looking to worldly or other spiritually distant things. 

Application:
Too often I let the things of this world get to me.  Sometimes I want to believe that the superstitions people tell me are true.  That the folklores are right.  But then, I remember that my being is centered around Christ.  Around who Christ made me to be.  Around who Christ made the world to be.  That hymn in Colossians 1 really helped me make sense of my world, and remind me who I belong to.  Its time to forget my reliance on the world, and take up the cross of Christ.

Prayer:
Christ--Be my everything.  Let all that binds me to this world, fall away.  Let all that keeps me connected to the world vanish.  Let me never forget who I am in you.  Let me never forget your power or your love.  Let me never forget you.

Blessings!
Pastor Emily

4 comments:

Lindsay said...

I have always heard Philippians 4:13 quoted... I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

But I hadn't really read much of the surrounding verses. "I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength."

I am gradually learning this... being content in all situations... learning to give thanks in all things. I can only do it when I rely on Christ, when I put all that I am in Him. He is my strength, and if He is my focus, I will be content.

Mary said...

Rejoice in the Lord always! Do not be anxious about anything! Be content whatever the circumstances. My God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus. These verses remind me to keep focused on Jesus and rejoice in the Lord ALWAYS!
Then in Colossians, Continue to live in Him, rooted and built up in Him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught and overflowing with thankfulness. Stay focused on Jesus and be thankful.
If I can do that, maybe I won't get wet when I try to walk on water in the storms of life!

Martha Jane Orlando said...

To Emily, Lindsay, and Mary ~

Your reflections have all inspired me so much this evening as I am awaiting news of my mother-in-law's cause of illness and her prognosis. It is so comforting to be reminded that I am to be content in all things, to lean on the Lord for all understanding and wisdom, and to trust that, if He asks me to step out of the boat, Mary, I won't get wet!

And may His peace, which passes all understanding, keep our hearts and minds in the knowledge and love of Him!

Amen!

Carol Flores said...

These chapters have some GREAT reassuring words and instruction.

Rejoice always, pray, don't worry, give thanks, be content in all situations. If we do these things, the peace of God will GUARD our heards and minds!! It's like by doing those things, we build up a "force field" around our hearts and minds, which although it can still be attacked by evil, we can rely on what seem like pretty basic actions to give us the strength through Christ to perservere regardless of our situation. Simply AWESOMWE!!!