Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Pray without Ceasing


Scripture--1 Thessalonians 2-1 Thessalonians 5

Observation:
This might just be my favorite piece of scripture.  Even more, I was in a conversation today about this scripture!  5:14b-19 and 22 "Comfort the discouraged.  Help the weak.  Be patient with everyone.  Make sure no one repays a wrong with a wrong, but always pursue the good for each other and everyone else.  Rejoice always.  Pray continually (without ceasing!). Give thanks in every situation because this is God's well for you in Christ Jesus.  Don't suppress the Spirit...Avoid every kind of evil."

Application:
I'm not sure I can add much.  Today, take one of those suggestions (commandments? pieces of advice) and try it out.  Pray without ceasing!  Rejoice in all things!  Comfort the discouraged!  Help the weak!  How much time does it take to write a note or make a phone call or post on someone's facebook wall?  Is it hard to turn off the car radio and listen to God for 10 extra minutes a day?  What else could you do?  What else would make a difference in your life or the lives of others?

Prayer:  
O God of the morning--Let us listen more than talk.  Challenge us to make a difference.  Let us see your glories day to day!  AMEN!

Blessings!
Pastor Emily

August 11--2 Thessalonians 1-2 Thessalonians 3
August 12--1 Timothy 1-1 Timothy 3
August 13--1 Timothy 4-1 Timothy 6
August 14--2 Timothy 1-2 Timothy 4
August 15--Titus 1-Titus 3

4 comments:

Lindsay said...

In today's reading, I got the message, "keep working towards holiness". I shouldn't settle for my current faith, or else my faith will get dusty on the shelf. I should continue to strive for more in Christ... more faith, more courage, more patience, more service, continue to serve Him. I've felt like I've been in a rut in my faith lately, but I'm on the way out! This Bible study, getting back involved in the church, and finding my gift of photography to bless friends and family...

A specific piece of scripture that jumped out at me was "Just as a nursing mother cares for her children, so we cared for you. Because we loved you so much, we were delighted to share with you not only the gospel of God but our lives as well." As a nursing mama, I know how much love I have for my daughter. Research shows that nursing releases hormones that relax the mom and enhance her desire to nurture her child. God designed us this way, but also, he designed us to share love with people other than our children. I pray that I can share the deep, nurturing love of Christ with others!

mary said...

I really liked 4:11 "Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands ... win the respect of outsiders and you will not be dependent on anybody.
I like what you said about "more" Lindsay. Paul encourages us to look for more in our lives by looking to Christ. And Emily pointed out easy little things we can do in order to do just that.

Martha Jane Orlando said...

I have always been challenged by the admonition to "pray without ceasing". On the surface, this seems to be an impossibility, but the more we realize that the presence of God is in every breath we take, the easier and more natural it becomes. I am taking great joy in this discovery!

Yes, Lindsay and Mary, we must always be striving for "more" in Christ. There is nothing better that will help us to grow and mature as Christians and shine His light in the world.

Carol Flores said...

I heard many things from this reading, but the one that spoke to me the most (as a recovering people pleaser) was to be BOLD, and to speak to please God, not men. This study is helping me to grow as a Christian and as time goes by, with God's help, I pray I can be bold when He needs me to be.