Sunday, August 7, 2011

I'm NOT Torn

Scripture: Philippians 1-3
Unlike Ephesians, there is almost no historical debate that this Letter to the Church at Phillipi was written by Paul.  It centers around Paul delivering his knowledge of Christ (Christology was the word we used for it in Seminary!) to this European Church.  


For more information see:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epistle_to_the_Philippians


Observation:  This passage stuck out to me (1:22-24), "If I continue to live in this world, I get results from my work.  But I don't know which I prefer. I'm torn between the two, because I want to leave this life and be with Christ, which is far better. However, its important for me to stay in the world for your sake". 


Anyone else get the feeling that between 2 Corinthians and the sorrows and this that Paul is depressed.  Which, I mean he is under persecution and jailed so I understand.  But, does it seem that way?  I get similar feelings when I sing "I'll Fly Away".  I love that song--maybe mostly because I love banjos and fiddles.  But when I sing it I always wonder, am I really ready to fly away?


Application:  Now, don't get me wrong.  I believe that heaven will be great.  That I will be with Jesus and my grandparents and my loved ones passed.  But I'm not ready to be there.  I'm not torn over whether I want to be in heaven or on Earth.  I want to be here.  With you.  Ready to make a difference for God's kingdom.  Paul, I love you, and think you are amazing, but I'm not torn.


What about you?  Are you torn?






Prayer:  God, Let us live lives holy enough for heaven, but powerful enough not to get there tomorrow. Amen


Blessings!
Pastor Emily

2 comments:

Mary said...

In the missions magazine I brought to your office today there was an article talking about the Kingdom of God and how rarely Christians talk about the Kingdom of God and then only as the eternal heavenly kingdom and neglect the Kingdom of God here on earth. How many, many times did Jesus talk about the Kingdom of God and how he was on earth to let people know that it was here in the here and now. So I think an older Paul, in prison wishing he could be out doing what he thought God wanted him to do, could be torn and ready to see the heavenly kingdom. I think this is a stage people get to when they are elderly or sick. But it is great to want to be here and to want to work for the Kingdom of God on earth! So choose NOT TORN.

Carol Flores said...

I choose NOT TORN too. I believe that I can't decide when it is my time. All I can do is live one day at a time, seeking God's will for my life, and "pressing towards the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus". God is not finished with me yet :)