Wednesday, August 3, 2011

People Pleaser

Scripture--Galatians 1-Galatians 3

Galatians is written to "the churches in Galatia".  Where exactly this is is of some debate, but most scholars agree that its somewhere in Asia Minor.  It is however clear that Paul is writing this as a rebuke.  There is much debate over a Gentile's role in Christianity, and Paul is ready to set the record straight.  "There is nether Jew nor Greek; there is neither slave nor free; nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus." (3:28) 


Observation:  So hard today!  I loved 2:20 "I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me!" or 3:2 "Did you receive the Spirit by doing the works of the Law or by believing what you had heard?" or the quote from 3:28 above.

But what stopped me in my tracks was 1:10, "Am I trying to win over human beings or God? Or am I trying to please people?  If I were still trying to please people I wouldn't be Christ's slave."  Ouch.  

Application:  I am the original people pleaser.  I cringe to think of the stories my mother could tell you!  I want people to be happy and safe and wonderful.  But then I get to that verse.  And I remember that doing what is right isn't always easy.  I want people to be happy, but I'd rather follow Christ.  I'd rather help people than please them!  I needed that smack in the face this morning.  

Prayer:  O Spirit of Truth, let me never forget that loving you is more than always being "nice".  Let me never forget that pleasing people isn't always pleasing to you.  Let me take the authority you've given me to conquer demons and learn to say no.  Let me remember to be nothing more than your servant, following your ways.  Amen! 


August 4--Galatians 4-Galatians 6
August 5--Ephesians 1-Ephesians 3
August 6--Ephesians 4-Ephesians 6
August 7--Philippians 1-Philippians 3
August 8--Philippians 4-Colossians 2

3 comments:

Martha Jane Orlando said...

As a recovering "people-pleaser", I can absolutely relate to this. Having that nature landed me in many precarious and unpleasant situations with those who knew how to manipulate my feelings.

I am so thankful for my walk with the Lord who wants me to live for His will and follow His ways no matter what the cost. He certainly has helped me to conquer many demons along the way!

Mary said...

Emily, mother says that you got that people pleasing from her- I am guilty there too! I am going to remember that verse. If we remember v2:20 I no longer live, but Christ lives in me, maybe we can do better.
Show me Thy will Lord.

Carol Flores said...

Emily, there is not much more I could say differently than what you wrote. I am a lifelong people pleaser and I know for SURE that I have made AWFUL decisions based on trying to make someone happy or make them like me. Through studying the Word with all it's "reminders" and also assurances, I am hoping to become like Martha..a "recovering" people pleaser, and learn to love God first.