Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Examine Yourselves!

Scripture--2 Corinthians 13

Observation:  Wallace often says, "I can't expect unless I inspect".  And although we like to cut up, I am keenly aware that Wallace says many brilliant things.  This is one I will keep and use!  See, we try hard to be good. We work hard to be Christian. But sometimes its easy to put yourself into autopilot.  How do we know if we are loving enough if we don't check sometimes.  Now, this whole book has been about admitting our weaknesses, about letting God be strong in us, about remember that we don't have to be perfect.  And I agree with that.  I'm weak so Christ can be strong.  I am saved by God's grace, not by my works.  I do good BECAUSE God loves me.

With that being said, there's also something to be said about checking yourself.  So this verse hit me:  (13:5) "Examine yourselves to see if you are in the faith.  Test yourselves".

Observation:  Have you tested yourself lately?  Have you checked your "faith-meter"?  How is it going?  Are you feeling close to God?  Have you heard Jesus speak lately?  The spirit move?  Have you spent time in prayer and reflection?  Time praising God?  Then today is the day to start!  Examine yourselves, don't worry, we won't fail the test! 

Prayer:  God of great love, We want to be closer to you.  To love you more.  Show us the way.  Teach us to pray.  Love us as we walk along the way.  With open hearts we offer ourselves to you!  In your amazing name we pray.  Amen.

Blessings!Pastor Emily

August 3--Galatians 1-Galatians 3
August 4--Galatians 4-Galatians 6
August 5--Ephesians 1-Ephesians 3
August 6--Ephesians 4-Ephesians 6
August 7--Philippians 1-Philippians 3
August 8--Philippians 4-Colossians 2

3 comments:

Martha Jane Orlando said...

Writing my daily devotions have truly led to self-examination and ramped up my faith like nothing else. I know this was God's gift to me and I am overjoyed to be walking closer with Him every day.

Mary said...

Examine and test yourself. Then Paul ends with "Aim for perfection,. . . live in peace". Unless we examine ourselves we can't move any closer to perfection. Show me where I need to grow and how to be more peaceful, Lord.

Carol Flores said...

13:5 and 11 -- I just imagined what our world would be like if everyone read these verses and decided that is the way to be? WOW. Lord, let it begin with me.