Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Patience

Scripture--2 Peter 1-2 Peter 3

Observation:
I love this,  (3:8-10) "Don’t let it escape your notice, dear friends, that with the Lord a single day is like a thousand years and a thousand years are like a single day. The Lord isn’t slow to keep his promise, as some think of slowness, but he is patient toward you, not wanting anyone to perish but all to change their hearts and lives. But the day of the Lord will come like a thief. On that day the heavens will pass away with a dreadful noise, the elements will be consumed by fire, and the earth and all the works done on it will be exposed."

Application: 
I tweeted this on Saturday, "I am not patient.  It was a virtue God has still not blessed me with yet!"  And its true!  I do not wait well.  5 minutes seems like an eternity.  But these verses were so strong for me.  "with the Lord a single day is like 1,000 years, and 1,000 years are like a single day."  So on those days when I wonder why God won't change things, I have to remember that God is changing things--but on God's time.  That God's ways are sometimes crafty and sneaky like a theif--changing so slowly that you don't even notice.  Its our job to stay true, to keep the faith, and to love--no matter how slow the return is.  I pray that today we all find a big more patience, a bit more love, a bit more understanding.  I pray that I find this virtue!

Prayer: 
Jesus--remind me that your ways are not mine.  That you are bigger than all my fears.  That you are ever changing things, even if I never see them.  Remind me that your time and way is best!  In thy name I pray--AMEN!

Blessings!
Pastor Emily
August 25--1 John 1-1 John 3
August 26--1 John 4-1 John 5
August 27--2 John-3 John, Jude
August 28--Revelation 1- Revelation 3
August 29--Revelation 4-Revelation 6
August 30--Revelation 7-Revelation 9
August 31--Revelation 10-Revelation 12
September 1--Revelation 13-Revelation 15
September 2--Revelation 16-Revelation 18
September 3--Revelation 19-Revelation 22

2 comments:

Martha Jane Orlando said...

Such a necessary reminder: God's time is not our time. He does and He will change things for us and in us when we least expect it; if we're not careful, we might not notice the change because we aren't focused on Him, but in our needs and wants.

In all things, we must have faith that He is working all things together for good!

Mary said...

Patience: very difficult virtue to demonstrate when you are the one waiting. Much easier to expect when others are waiting on you. God is waiting for every one to come to repentance! Wow!
I liked 1:5 The list of the virtues to add together to help us be more effective and productive in our relationship with Jesus! Faith, goodness, knowledge, self-control, perseverance, godliness, brotherly kindness and love. I want to be more effective and productive so I better get to work.