Thursday, August 4, 2011

Bearing Fruit

Scripture--Galatians 4-Galatians 6

Observation:  I can't talk about these chapters without talking about 5:22-23, "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against things like this." 

Application:  Why do you do good things?  Why are you patient and kind and loving and gentle?  Is it because you are that amazing?  Because you work hard to be that way?

Sometimes, yes, I think its because you are wonderful and work hard.  But I give credit for all the good I am to God.  I am patient because God is patient with me.  I love because God loves me.  I am full of joy because God fills me with God's Spirit of JOY!  Its a key to our belief that we don't do good things of our own accord, but we do good things because God loves us.  We are good not by ourselves, but because God loves us.  

For too many years we have been taught that we must do good to be loved.  But its clear that the fruit of loving God and being loved by God is the cultivating of character!  Wondering how close you are to God right now?  Wondering about how the spirit is working in you? Then examine how self-controlled you are.  How good you are.  How loving and faithful you are. When you start to bear those fruits--you will know God is working in you.

Prayer:  Jesus our Christ--Thank you for your infinite mercies.  Thank you for your infinite love.  Whatever we have is yours.  Whoever we are is yours.  Continue to let your fruits show through what we do.  Show through how we act.  Do a good work in us, so we can spread your love to the world.  AMEN!

Blessings!
Pastor Emily 

August 5--Ephesians 1-Ephesians 3
August 6--Ephesians 4-Ephesians 6
August 7--Philippians 1-Philippians 3
August 8--Philippians 4-Colossians 2

2 comments:

Mary said...

The second half of 5:6 says, "The only thing that counts is faith, expressing itself in love. Those words that are the fruit of the Spirit are words to describe faith expressed in love. Faith brings joy, peace and patience. Love is self control, kindness, goodness, gentleness. So if I can express my faith in love, I will be producing the fruit of the spirit.

Carol Flores said...

I smiled when I read 5:1 aboit liberty and how Christ has made us FREE from the bondage of the law. What a great feeling freedom is. We enjoy it in this country yet I think we put ourselves back in bondage to "things".

Mary I read 5:6 the same way...faith working through love PRODUCES.

God I want to produce the fruit of the Spirit and walk in the Spirit. There are forces always present trying to possess my heart and keep it from you. I want to give it all to you. Lord help me love, and thank you for the assurance that You already won!