Monday, August 15, 2011

Controversies




Scripture--Titus 1-Titus 3


(Titus is the third of the Pastoral Epistles.  See the intro to 1 Timothy or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titus for more information).

Observation:  This hit me between the eyes: "Avoid stupid controversies, genealogies, and fights about the Law, because they are useless and worthless (3:9)

Application:  How many fights do we as Christians have that are stupid?  Over social media policies or the color of the carpet in the sanctuary!  Over exactly what that unclear verse means or over how long the choir robes are!  I wish we were better at loving each other.  At respecting each other.  At loving Christ and letting God sort out the details.  I wish I could see past ideology and my own stubborn beliefs and just love.  I needed those words today!  Avoid stupid controversies!  Amen.


Prayer:  Jesus, let me focus on you.  Let all the distractions, frustrations and grudges melt away and let me see your face only.  Let me love you more than my issues.  Let me love your children more than my own beliefs.  Let me love like you.  In your name I pray.  Amen!

Blessings!
Pastor Emily 
August 16--Philemon-Hebrews 1
August 17--Hebrews 2-Hebrews 4
August 18--Hebrews 5-Hebrews 7
August 19--Hebrews  8-Hebrews  10
August 20--Hebrews 11-Hebrews 13
August 21--James 1-James 3
August 22--James 4-1 Peter 1

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

This verse was the one that pulled me in today... To the pure, all things are pure, but to those who are corrupted and do not believe, nothing is pure. Maybe it ties into yesterday's sermon... my heart condition... if I let bad things into my heart, bad things come back out. I don't want a bad heart with bad results... I want a pure heart! And a pure heart will produce pure actions... all things will be pure! My heart got a little cleansing lately... I let Jesus show me what needed purification in my life (and in my heart). Although, it took me a while to finally hand it over to him, I did, and it feels so much better! Lord, continue to show me what other parts of my heart need your purifying touch!

mary said...

So if we don't waste our time in those negative pursuits, he tells us in 3:14 what we should spend our time doing. "Learn to devote themselves to doing what is good, in order that they may provide for daily necessities and not lead unproductive lives." So we work hard at doing good, not because it is our way to salvation, but because it brings purpose to our lives.
God, show me the good I need to be doing and help me to avoid the controversies, arguments and quarrels that waste my time!

Carol Flores said...

My Mom always said "Idle hands are the devil's workshop" so today's reading made that make more sense. If we keep ourselves busy doing good, we will as a result bear good fruit.

I also relate to 3:10 about rejecting divisive people after the first and second admonition. Thas has come up a few times in the readings and it has helped me with a personal situation. It's a God thing :)